Screen protectors, whether for an iPad or iPhone or any other device that you want to protect are ridiculously expensive for what you get. We’re going to show you how you can make one yourself for a fraction of the cost!
That’s all there is to it! Lifehacker supplies a list of steps for reference if that’s helpful but you can pretty much see that it’s pretty straight-forward.
However, we would cringe at cutting the plastic vinyl right on top of our iPads! I would never subject a $729. device to such treatment.
So here is how we would handle that:
First off, you don’t have to buy a full yard of anything in your local fabric store. They will sell you a quarter yard which is plenty for even your iPad screen. A quarter yard of vinyl-plastic is usually 54″ wide you will have enough to actually cover five iPad screens.
- Use one section of that wide piece of plastic to make a template for the finished protector
- Remove the paper backing and place that piece of plastic over the screen and use a permanent pen to mark exactly where you need to cut each opening and the perimeter of the screen.
- Mark the front of this template plastic in some way so you know which side is the front for orientation so the holes all end up where you want them.
- Use this as your pattern to mark the actual screen protector vinyl, transferring all your marks as needed. Remember to pay attention to the orientation of the pattern for devices like an iPhone where the openings are not symmetrical.
- Cut out all the openings and perimeter before removing the backing paper to keep the plastic clean and lint free before transferring it to the iPad. Use a paper-hole punch for the round holes if available; you’ll find that a lot easier than trying to cut them freehand.
- Cut out your clear vinyl with a sharp exacto- knife on top of an old piece of glass – the blade will slide through your plastic much easier for a cleaner cut and better fit.
- Proceed as indicated in the video, smoothing it out on the glass, using a credit card to disperse any bubbles you encounter.
- Store your template pattern in a file folder for next time or pass it along to a friend to use so they can cover their device!
Save your money! Don’t spend 20-30 bucks on a screen protector! Build your own for any electronic device and for under $3 bucks you have nearly a lifetime supply.
All we need is some vinyl covering which you can obtain at any crafts store. Follow along and we’ll show you how!
Hit us on twitter: http://twitter.com/householdhacker
Thanks to Sifex for the logo!