...with an app for iPads!
Middle school math is not usually referred to as fun. But with the new iPad app, Middle School Math, your 11 to 14-year old can reinforce their middle-school math skills by playing strategic games and make learning fun!
Developed by Interactive Elementary, Middle School Math was designed to offer opportunities for student engagement at every turn. Stretching the full gamut of a well-rounded mathematics curriculum, the seven modules in Middle School Math truly push the boundaries of interactive learning. Interactive Elementary also offer a full range of tutorial videos on their site to help in navigating their app, unlocking all that it can offer.
“All the evidence suggests that children learn best when they can solidify their understandings through the use of concrete materials,” says Dave Brown, their president. “But we’ve done one better. We are creating modules that utilize virtual manipulatives. In actuality, we have integrated technology into hands-on learning. We believe we are definitely blazing new trails here. These are new inroads to student engagement. As this product becomes more comprehensive, it is really our early adopters who win out.” The company expects to continue updating the product through the 2011-12 school year.
Stay with us “after the break” to see one module of Middle school Math in action and to learn what the other 6 provide.
Ordering Numbers is just one module included in the Middle School iPad app. There are seven developed so far, with two of those released as updates since the original release date. More are promised and all updates are included in the initial-cost of the app.
Middle School Modules:
- Pinpoint Plotter - Plot a series of coordinates on a Cartesian Plane to form one of eight animals.
- Data Magnet - Create surveys and then question your friends before generating graphs to display your data.
- Place Value - Read numbers and then drag digits to their correct position on a place value chart.
- Ordering Numbers - Practice ordering fractions, decimal numbers & integers by poking cavemen scrambling around your screen.
- The Multiple Conveyor - Sort multiples according to their factors in this engaging learning game.
- Shape Board - Pull an elastic over pegs to create two-dimensional shapes. Then measure for area and perimeter.
- The Algebra Vault - Practice solving one and two-step equations by performing basic operations to isolate a variable
Apps for iPads Recommended Reading:
- Best Educational Ipad Apps for Kids | The Amazing iPad – For both at home and in schools there are iPad Apps that are great for educational use. Here are some of the best ipad apps for kids.
- 25 Killer (iPad) Apps | Learning is Change – I have been putting this post off for a while now, but I am finally compelled to write about all of the apps that I am using on a regular basis on my iPad. I am compelled by just how many conversations I have had about doing …