... and have FUN along the way!
Planning a trip and wondering what apps will help you get there in record time and to the right destination? Here’s three apps that will help you plan your route, find you food and lodging nearby the interstate and get you there with step-by-step verbal navigation!
Use Route by Surrendered Studios before setting out on a multi-stop adventure to plan the most advantageous and shortest way to make the drive. Feed multiple destinations into Route so that it can plot the easiest way to navigate just where you’d like to go. You can even tell it what you are searching for along the way and pick the location that best suits your scheduled route. Route is great for couriers and delivery personnel as it makes more efficient use of your time and fuel. It works whether you are in a vehicle, on a bicycle or walking.
- Calculate optimal route between a series of addresses.
- Displays the driving directions between each stop.
- Displays the calculated route on the map.
- View previously created routes.
- Supports up to 100 destinations in a route.
ONCE YOU ARE ON THE ROAD AND NEED TO STOP FOR FUEL, FOOD OR LODGING you will want to fire up RoadNinja! This app is made by none other than the Lamar Advertising Company. You know, you’ve seen their namplate at the bottom of billboards all over the United States! Who better knows what is located along an interstate than they would?
Turn on RoadNinja to find out where you’ll find the nearest rest stop, restaurants, gas or lodging as you drive. Using the internal GPS on your iDevice this app for iPads, iPhone or iPod Touch will show you exactly what is located at upcoming interstate exits without your ever having to exit the highway! Not only that BUT RoadNinja will give you money-saving promotions available at those particular locations! What a great way to make the best use of your time AND money!
RoadNinja will even let you plan your trip ahead of time, even across the country! They list EVERY interstate exit in the United States!
- Detects your location and displays places up to 3 miles of the nearest upcoming exit
- Plan your trip in advance with a directory of every interstate / exit in the U.S. – even 3,000 miles away
- Scroll through exits OR search by business name or category to find out what’s ahead
- Tap any business logo to access contact info, read reviews, view their twitter feed (if applicable) and get directions there
- Modify categories displayed at each exit. Choose from 30 options, including Airport, Apparel, Coffee Shop, Nightlife, Sushi and Vegetarian, to name a few
- When you’re not traveling on the interstate, switch to NEAR ME mode to view locations around you
- Add and share favorites, photos, promotions, ratings and reviews on Facebook and check-in on Foursquare
- Tap the Promotions icon to learn about specials and savings around you (within a 10 mile radius)
SO NOW THAT YOU KNOW WHERE YOU WOULD LIKE TO GO AND ARE EQUIPPED FOR STOPPING ALONG THE WAY YOU NEED TO GET THERE!
To do that we recommend Waze by Waze, Inc. Waze is the best step-by-step voice narrated and activated GPS for iOS we have found. Whether you opt to have Henry or Henrietta talk to you they’ll get you there in record time and at the right location.
Waze is a free, community-based traffic & navigation app. When you download Waze, you not only get free navigation, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and improve everyone’s daily commute.
Waze is a free app and service that Waze-users subscribe to. WHY? So that you can report traffic, hidden cops, construction and more that will enable you and others to plan alternate routes if you run into congestions, etc. Of course Waze is probably used more in and around major cities but I have used mine in the mid-Atlantic states and have never been disappointed. I have always had other Waze user’s virtual cars pop up on my screen and value the information supplied by others in the area. You can even opt to contact those using Waze in the area through the chat feature if you so desire. You can also contact others via chat or email to let them know exactly where you are and when you should arrive.
The Waze app also allows you to report if there is an error on your route so that it can be corrected for future travelers. I haven’t encountered many of those and when I do it is usually in suburban or rural areas that are not well traveled. They usually amount to the narration telling me to turn onto a street that isn’t there, although it has never gotten me lost. I can’t say that for my Garmin unit in my car. So far Waze has a better track record than the Garmin unit.
You can even customize your Waze app with a man or woman’s voice and select from nine cars that reflect your mood and come in both male and female styles.
- Live community-contributed traffic information and road reports + notifications when approaching police traps, speed cams, heavy traffic or hazards on the road
- Free traffic by-passing navigation featuring voice-guided, turn-by-turn guidance
- A 100% live map + real-time road monitoring & automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change
- Hands free operation – Use voice commands to share road events or have Waze direct you to home or work. (Initially available for US & Canada only)
- Share your location or destination via text or email, or update others on new ETA when running late. Your friends can click on the link in the message and launch Waze directly to that destination.
- Ability to create or join local driving groups, plus the option to link up with other drivers for carpooling
- Foursquare, Twitter & Facebook integrations, plus fun, geo-gaming elements
Using Route, RoadNinja and Waze will get you where you need to be and make the drive more enjoyable. Stop wasting gas and time and add these apps to your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch today!
Okay, so where are YOU off to this summer and WHICH apps are YOU going to use???
Route is a clean and easy to use app to optimize travel on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Easily calculate the quickest route around town to save time and money on gas! Route will optimize your path for you to avoid headache and frustration. Route takes the complexity out of delivering goods, garage sale hopping, running errands, and much more.
Available on the App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/route/id505608050?mt=8
Tech Tuesday – 10/25/2011 – Apps for Your Car – This morning we talk about a few apps to help you get down the road, including RoadNinja, Waze, GasBuddy, Real Racing 2, and the CBS 5 News App, only on CBS 5 Morning News (KPHO), Phoenix, AZ.