Apps for iPads continues our series focusing on note taking iPad apps with NOTES PLUS, which may prove to be the perfect “hybrid” application!
Viet Tran, a University of Minnesota grad student who speaks English as a second language, has put together an iPad app that communicates perfectly. Starting out to develop ” a very simple handwriting app” Viet Tran soon “learned that the App Store today is very different from the App Store 3 years ago when the iPhone first released” and has been striving to “improve user experience with the new trend of technology on tablet devices.” He is intent on focusing “on improving this Notes Plus app to the point that all users are happy with it.”
Stay with us “after the break for a full review, video overview AND a chance to WIN a copy of Notes Plus!
Notes Plus has taken some of the very best features from handwritten note taking iPad apps (that we have already reviewed) and has blended them with the ability to voice record into one awesome application!
As you all know I insist that a note taking app allow me to take handwritten notes. Notes Plus not only allows you to write notes by hand, it gives you a closeup box so that you can write in normal size while it shrinks it to fit perfectly into your 8-1/2″ x 11″ document. You can even switch to typing at any time by simply double tapping on your iPad screen. Change the font and its color to suit your needs. You can even choose how far apart the lines, if you opt to even have lines, are printed! All while RECORDING your lecture, meeting, webinar, seminar or class! This iPad app gives your handwriting six line thicknesses, a dozen ink colors, opacity control of your ink as well as the ability to mix and match colors utilizing outline as well as fill colors for an INFINITE amount of variety!
This is the only note taking app we have found that allows you to essentially cut and paste your typed or written information anywhere in your note by simply lassoing and moving it! Even HAND written notes or sketches! Need to just “scratch” that? It as simple as “scratching” through the offending entry! We will get into that, and MORE, in our upcoming Notes Plus tutorial so watch for that upcoming post next week! Notes Plus is simple and easy to use! As a matter of fact a lot of thought was put into that… you can pretty much just dive into this app with little instruction!
Two shortcomings of Notes Plus right now is first, the inablilty to search or tag notes for future retrieval and secondly, not being able to export the audio files. Both items are on the developers short list for upcoming revisions. Right now you can email your notes to Evernote as a PDF so they are searchable, and Evernote integration is being discussed, but Viet Tran realizes this “is the biggest weakness of Note Plus… and will focus on it as soon as I release this 2.1 version.” MP3 audio file export is also slated for a future revision so “that users can easily access both text and audio notes.” Revisions are being submitted to the Apple App Store later this week… to the right Viet Tran has shared a screenshot of some of the newer additions.
Here is our Apps for iPads short list of pros and cons. Please note that Viet Tran is very cognizant of what his users want and future revisions are already planned. He is very available through his blog and answers each of his users’ posts, striving to build everything into Notes Plus for it to to” be considered a serious business app.”
- Closeup writing and editing
- Handwriting and typing integration
- “Copy and Paste”
- Voice Recording
- Customizable Palm Guard
- Shape Recognition (allows you to perfect shapes)
- Ink and paper variety
- Undo and Recover
- Gestural Erase
- Pinch and Zoom Capability
- Lack of manual advance for closeup box – added in next revision releasing soon
- Number of steps required for highlighting text – addition of “Quick Settings” in next release
- Lack of pixel eraser – planned for upcoming revision
- Lack of search or tags for organization - planned for upcoming revision in near future
- Cannot export audio files – planned MP3 export in upcoming revision
Notes Plus is as perfect a note taking app as Apps for iPads has found, and with future revisions already being considered and on the developer’s schedule, it is a great tool in any note taking situation. It’s one of the best available “as is” and is sure to serve you well even as you await its upcoming revisions. Notes Plus get 4-1/4 out of 5 STARS! I guarantee you that it will be at FIVE stars in the very near future!
We want YOU to have the opportunity to try it out yourself… so we are uploading our videos for you…. and you can download your own copy by clicking on the ICON below to buy it now, OR you may try to WIN a copy! Find out how to do that below the Photo Plus ICON.
Download your own copy of Notes Plus without waiting!
<— Just click on its Icon to get yours NOW!
Would you like the opportunity to WIN a copy of Notes Plus for YOUR iPad? We have a number of Notes Plus promo codes to give away! You can qualify for up to three chances to win but only once in each category:
- Simply leave a comment below telling us how Notes Plus will help YOU take notes and HOW you will use it
- Send a Tweet @AppsforiPads telling everyone to check out our Apps for iPads Notes Plus review at http://appsforipads.net/ipad-productivity-apps/is-notes-plus-the-perfect-app-for-ipads
- Post a Facebook message to our FB page telling everyone to check out our Notes Plus review at http://appsforipads.net/ipad-productivity-apps/is-notes-plus-the-perfect-app-for-ipads and how you would use Notes Plus if you win a copy.
Our Apps for iPads’ Notes Plus Contest will run through Thanksgiving, thats November 25th, we will select random winners from your entries over the holiday weekend so watch for us to contact you! Enter all three ways for better odds at winning YOUR copy of Notes Plus! Either way, no matter how you get your copy of Notes Plus YOU are the WINNER!
Remember to check in to watch for the Notes Plus Tutorial next week! Don’t miss any of our posts, add us to our RSS feed NOW
Apps for iPads Recommended Reading:
- Notes Plus – (link to this demo video on YouTube: http://www. I tried the much touted Penultimate, and Sundry Notes, and UYH but this is the only app that thoroughly delighted me. It has everything I wanted zoom in and out on pages, smooth lines, drawing mixed with text, mixed with sound, mixed with shapes all together easily and seamlessly on the same page.
- Notes Plus: Close Up Look Reveals Full-Featured Productivity on … – REVIEW: Notes Plus is staggeringly popular in the App Store, and for good reason. Its forte is its clean, intuitive interface, but the extras make it stand out.
- Enhance every aspect of note taking with Notes Plus for iPad – Appmodo – Lakeville, Minnesota The independent mobile application developer Viet Tran behind Notes Plus has announced excitement over the app’s successful release and the enthusiastic reception with which Notes Plus users have welcomed and embraced it. A testament to the satisfaction of its users, Notes Plus was recently ranked among the top twenty most popular iPad apps within the genre of productivity’ and currently holds an impressive aggregated consumer rating of four stars on the iTunes App Store. This innovative app mixes an intuitive and ergonomic user interface together with boundless in-app utilities to offer a mobile workspace for the iPad that is unparalleled in both practicality as well as functionality.
Apps for iPads – http://appsforipads.net – presents a video overview of Notes Plus! This iPad app is the PERFECT hybrid! Watch to see WHY and stay tuned for our tutorial to be released SOON! Join us on the website for a full review or GRAB it NOW: http://appsforipads.net/NotesPlusApp