...or how to have the Cat in the Hat teach your kids!
Who doesn’t like Dr. Seuss and his Cat in the Hat? Now the Cat turns the tables to teach your children more than just silly rhymes and morality lessons. Following in the footsteps of the “There’s No Place Like Space” app, the Cat in the Hat “Ice is Nice” app is also is a teaching tool for young grade-school aged children. It was an instant hit with our tiny testers so we thought we would give you a quick walk through video so you can pretty much try before you buy.
While you cannot see all of what the app teaches in the short clip you can see that you will climb aboard the SS Ice Chopper, The Cat in the Hat’s Super Slip-Sliding Ice-Breaking Pole Hopper, for an icy cold expedition to the North and South Poles. As the story goes on you will mingle with native animals like reindeer, musk oxen, polar bears and penguins and learn how they survive in their harsh environments. When your child taps interactive diagrams they can explore related science concepts such as how the Earth’s orbit around the sun affects seasons, or how specially designed hairs keep the polar bear warm. Whirling propellers, floating icebergs, swimming animals and blooming flowers bring life to each page as popup boxes teach new words throughout the engaging story.
Two ways to read:
- “Read to Me” — listen to the narrated story with words highlighted as they are read. still allowing you to explore the interactiveness.
- “Read it Myself” — read the book in its traditional form and explore the interactive qualities
- Individual words highlight and are read aloud when tapped
- Instant Glossary! Tap bold words to learn their definition
- Interact with the animated objects on each page
- Picture / Word association — tap objects to see and hear its name
- Professional audio narration and custom background audio for each scene
- This ‘Universal App’ is optimized for Retina displays and the iPad
We really like that when your child is reading the story themselves that they can tap on a word that they are stumbling over so the narrator pronounces it for them. This prevents frustration and encourages reading. What we do no particularly care for in the app is the presence of Facebook and Twitter access. We are glad that it is hidden from immediate view as children do not belong on social media at the age they would be using this app.
Making learning fun is always a BIG thumbs up in our book so we heartily endorse the Cat in the Hat “Ice is Nice” app for iPads, iPods and iPhones. Did I neglect to mention that? Yes, it will play on all of them at the cost of a single download so you really are getting a bargain with this app.
I encourage you to add the Ice is Nice app to your iPad library today,
p.s. so which Cat in the Hat book is YOUR childhood favorite?
Ice Is Nice!: All About the North and South PolesVersion: 2.3Created by: Oceanhouse Media This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad
Categories: Books, Education
- A great job incorporating literacy-focused features into a science-themed book." - Common Sense Media
Explore the animals and geography of the North and South Poles aboard the SS Ice Chopper!
Tap interactive diagrams to learn how the Earth orbits around the sun, or how polar bears stay warm in the snow. Crashing
http://AppsforiPads.net and OceanHouse Media present the Cat in the Hat “Ice is Nice” iPad app! Join us on the website for our full review or GRAB the app now: http://appsforipads.net/IceIsNiceApp